[vorbis-dev] Silent Vorbis Packet

Daniel Kenyon Jones dk282 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 03:40:57 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm Computer Science undergraduate at The University of Cambridge,
England. I'm currently writing a dissertation on using Vorbis for
"Receiver Driven Layered Multicast".

This uses a similar idea to bitrate peeling to create a multicast audio
stream where the client can pick the bitrate by receiving a subset of
the multicasted layers.

I will be happy to release some code/talk about it after my finals in
June. At the moment I am desperately writing the whole thing up/putting
the last bits of code in place/revising for my finals, so you will
understand why I am a little pushed for time.

I have a working proof of concept program written in Java, using JMF and
a port of the Vorbis decoder to the JMF (J-Ogg).

Is there a bit pattern that would represent a silent Vorbis packet for
any arbitrary stream?

The null packet (ie all zeros) also has 0 length.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Kenyon Jones

Emmanuel College, Cambridge