[Vorbis-dev] packed ogss

Tony acarter
Thu Jul 29 08:55:26 PDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who has replied about this, Ive now got some ideas on how
to get round this for my applications.

I noticed a typo in my original mail, I said 30+ chained files I meant 300+
chained files, just in case anyone was wondering why the opening time was
taking around 20 seconds.

One other think I wondered if anybody could clarify when I use the tool
OggInfo on my chained files it throws up warning between each stream, saying
that the wrong page was encountered, is this a normal thing when running
ogginfo tool on chained oggs.

Cheers,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: vorbis-dev-bounces at xiph.org [mailto:vorbis-dev-bounces at xiph.org] On
Behalf Of Arc Riley
Sent: 29 July 2004 16:23
To: vorbis-dev at Xiph.org
Subject: Re: [Vorbis-dev] packed ogss

This is a player issue, or prehaps a limitation of VobisFile, since it
could cache this information and use the cache when the file is
unchanged on disk since it's last "index".

See, to find things like the total length or where the barrier is
between chained bitstreams, it needs to seek through the entire file.
It sounds like it's doing this every time.  Optimumally it should begin
to play and change the total length of the seek bar as it seeks trough,
or better yet, allow you to show each chained bitstream individually in
the playlist with the seek bar only representing a single track.

Anyways, with a little threading (play and seek at same time) and
caching of what it finds, it should be able to make these functions
nearly invisible to the user.