[Vorbis-dev] Tutorial/Docs for using libvorbis directly

Michael Smith msmith
Thu Jul 1 18:45:25 PDT 2004

<200407020951.29645.msmith at xiph.org>
<004801c45fc9$40fc5380$96e11704 at stever>

On Friday 02 July 2004 10:12, Steve Russell wrote:
> I haven't yet begun, but I will be, delving into the integration of
> vorbis/speex into my program, and I'm trying to decipher what's being said
> here.  Does this amount to creating a library that plays a given ogg file,
> using the ogg api?

It's about creating a decoder application (for an ogg vorbis file, not an
arbitrary ogg file - so this isn't relevant for ogg speex) using libvorbis.

However, the vast majority of developers don't want to use libvorbis directly
- they want to use libvorbisfile. libvorbisfile is a high-level decode
interface, and it's much more convenient to use.

Direct use of libvorbis (which the original poster said he needed) is usually
only needed if libvorbisfile is, for some reason, not usable for a particular
purpose - like if you're trying to get your data from an asychronous data
source.

Mike