[vorbis-dev] Audo quality problem

lists at scapa.dnsalias.net lists at scapa.dnsalias.net
Wed Feb 11 10:14:27 PST 2004

Simeon Maxein wrote:
>>It might be helpful if you could determin the lowest quality setting where
>>the problem (for you) goes away.  Say, within .5 or so.
>
> It stops exactly at -q 6,00. At 5,99 it's still there, I can make it out
> without the slightest problem, and then at 6,00 I don't hear it any more.
> There is also a small "bitrate jump" from 5,99 to 6,00, so I guess the
> encoder changes some settings there. What is exactly happening there? I
> would be glad if someone could tell me.

At quality settings >= 6, stereo channel coupling becomes lossless (that
means, the stereo picture is complete in q6+; the audio itself stays
lossy, of course.) The problem you describe is well-known and occurs on
a few selected pieces of music (not every song is affected noticably).
There are many anecdotes about this, and the last time this was
discussed, Monty acknowledged it and said something along the line of
"thank you, we know of it, we have many examples but no hard data that
show WHY this actually happens."

That was quite a while ago, and I believe I've heard that meanwhile the
problem has been identified and will be fixed in Vorbis 1.1. However,
please don't quote me on that, I am really not sure about it ... maybe
someone else knows more details about the current development status of
Vorbis.

You might also want to make sure that you're using Vorbis 1.0.1 - it has
some quality improvements at low bitrates.