[vorbis-dev] Stereo mode settings

Yann Guidon whygee at f-cpu.org
Sat Feb 7 16:44:59 PST 2004

hello,

Stephen So wrote:

> Recently a few people did some listening tests at ha.org, comparing
> standard Vorbis with  lossless coupled and uncoupled Vorbis files and
> they tend to indicate an improvement when we use uncoupled stereo.
> Does this sound peculiar?
>
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=18359&view=findpost&p=181123
>

> Best regards,
>
> Steve.

at low frequencies
with relatively "pure" sounds.

This gets complicated with echo/reverb chambers that add phase, or with
stereo
recordings using separate microphones : the phase of the signal is such
that the "common mode
signal" and the "differential signal" have together as much energy as
the initial stereo signal.

This is something that should at least be managed by the user, when it
can't be examined
block per block (which potentially doubles the encoding computing
requirements).

if anyone has more ideas, i'd be interested to read about his experiments.

YG