[vorbis-dev] Stereo mode settings

Stephen So s.so at griffith.edu.au
Sat Feb 7 15:06:43 PST 2004

Recently a few people did some listening tests at ha.org, comparing
standard Vorbis with  lossless coupled and uncoupled Vorbis files and
they tend to indicate an improvement when we use uncoupled stereo.  Does
this sound peculiar?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=18359&view=findpost&p=181123

Best regards,

Steve.

Sebastian Gesemann wrote:

>my 2 cents:
>
>You could test this effect on monoaural files.
>The "HF boost" will still be present.
>It's because of heavy quantization. The SNR is *so*
>low at high frequencies in low bitrate modes, that the
>quantization error increases energy noticably.
>
>Test it yourself:
>- generate some random numbers p_i (around -1..1)
>- round them to the nearest int q_i:=round(p_i);
>- compare the "energy":
>  \sum{i} p_i^2
>  \sum{i} q_i^2
>
>The bad news:
>I don't know how to avoid this in general.
>
>Ghis!
>Sebastian
>--- >8 ----
>Ogg project homepage: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Stephen So, BEng(Hons)

PhD Student,
Signal Processing Laboratory,
School of Microelectronic Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology,
Griffith University, Nathan Campus,
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, 4111.

Phone: +61-7-3875 3754
E-mail: s.so at griffith.edu.au