[Vorbis-dev] Crash when reading OGG/Vorbis file

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Dec 19 16:33:09 PST 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 10:32, Stevo Brock wrote:
> I'm seeing a crash when reading an OGG/Vorbis file.  I'm using OGG 1.0
> / Vorbis 1.0.
>
> The crash occurs in _vds_shared_init because the passed in vorbis_info
> *vi points to a structure containing all 0s (and thus crashes on the
> line

Thanks for the detailed description.

Could you provide this file to us (off-list, though - either directly to me
via email, or putting it up on a website somewhere), so that we can figure
out what's going wrong?

I'd be very surprised if the file was valid - vorbisfile should probably be
rejecting it, but ideally, it should not be possible to crash vorbisfile with
invalid input. So any file that can cause a crash would be welcome!

Additionally, I'd very strongly recommend you upgrade to vorbis 1.1. This
particular problem doesn't sound like anything I remember being fixed in 1.1,
but many other bugs were, and encoder quality was also improved.

Mike