[Vorbis-dev] Segfault in vorbis_book_decodevv_add

Maxime Guillaud maxime at mguillaud.net
Wed Dec 1 02:09:24 PST 2004

Monty wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:49:06AM +1100, Michael Smith wrote:
>>Of course, it could be something else entirely - like an xmms bug just
>>happening to stomp on some memory owned by libvorbis - but we don't want to
>>assume that.
>
> Yes, what is the actual player in use?  XMMS (1.2.7 and 1.2.10)
> crashes on me constantly regardless of the stream type played back...
> It seems that its streaming buffer will stomp all over memory if it
> overflows.  You may well simply be seeing higher level corruption that
> finally crashes inside libvorbis.

Actually I could reproduce it using both xmms (1.2.10) and ogg123, and
it would crash at the exact same place in vorbis_book_decodevv_add.

I followed Michael's advice and upgraded to libvorbis 1.1.0, compiled
with debugging info. So far it's running fine but I haven't let it run
for very long yet. If it turns out that upgrading actually fixes the
problem, maybe I'll try to downgrade it back to libvorbis 1.0.1 in order
to track down what's really happening if you're interested.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you updated.

Maxime