[vorbis-dev] I want to help

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Mon Sep 8 17:31:23 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 17:54, Mike S wrote:
> Hi, I want to help code on a part of the ogg vorbis project and I really
> don't know where to start. I know C pretty well and I can use assembly
> every once in a while to speed things up. My first idea was to try and
> speed up the library with assembly (maybe SIMD) code. However, I soon
> realized I didn't understand the main parts of the encoder at all (I'm
> assuming most of the CPU time is taken up by this modified discrete
> cosine transform). Where is most of the help needed? A recent post said
> vcut needed work, should I do that? Or would I be helpful elsewhere?

Working with vcut would be a good way to get familiar with Vorbis,
though it might take some study to figure out how to improve it if this
is your first project with Vorbis.

One thing I'm looking for is someone to add ReplayGain support to
ogg123.  I made a patch to do it a while ago and lost it in a hard drive
move.  For now, I would suggest it be added to oggvorbis_format.c,
though in theory Vorbis, FLAC and Speex could all have ReplayGain tags
(since they all use Vorbis-style comments) so it should be easy to move
to a higher level in the code if needed later.

That's one idea, anyway.  It's not terribly interesting.  :)

---
Stan Seibert