[vorbis-dev] Vorbis-RTP situation

P Oscar Boykin boykin at pobox.com
Sun Oct 12 11:16:59 PDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 04:20:00PM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> Phil, who authored the initial draft for Vorbis-RTP transport mechanism
> didn't get much help in finishing it, and I believe writing a spec
> without a reference implementation to go with it would be sort of
> platonic, so if we don't have people interested to do this, it won't
> happen. Phil is willing to let any interested party take over the
> spec-writing, if they finish it.

Why isn't it better to do a spec for ogg over RTP, rather than Vorbis
over RTP?  Why can't there just be one way to put ogg packets into RTP
packets, rather than write a separate RFC for each codec that someone
wants to stream over RTP?

Maybe there is a good reason this is not a smart idea, I'd like to hear
it.  :)

Best,
Oscar

--
boykin at pobox.com    http://pobox.com/~boykin    jabber: johnynek at jabber.org
fingerprint=D250 4AD9 4544 B7D2 A17C  911D D608 D387 6718 D75F