[vorbis-dev] Vorbis-RTP situation

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Sun Oct 12 07:20:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Hannes Guddat wrote:

> I am sure noone wants to use this as a opportunity for criticism, but
> everyone should be interested in Vorbis contributing to international
> standards for greater dissemination of the codec.

This is of course our goal.

The big question I think we need to ask is: is RTP for broadcasting or is
it only for VoIP?

If the answer is yes, RTP should also be used for broadcasting, then we
need to get started on this. But it *might* not be as hot as we think.

Phil, who authored the initial draft for Vorbis-RTP transport mechanism
didn't get much help in finishing it, and I believe writing a spec
without a reference implementation to go with it would be sort of
platonic, so if we don't have people interested to do this, it won't
happen. Phil is willing to let any interested party take over the
spec-writing, if they finish it.

I will not take it right now, but maybe later. If someone has his fingers
itching to implement and test an RTP protocol suite - presumably as
patches against IceCast - this is your time to step forward.

Otherwise I suggest we let the whole issue rest until/if it arises the
next time.

> I can understand that Vorbis should maybe have a clearer specification on
> latency issues, but VoIP simply isn't vorbis, maybe this is a fake argument.

IMHO, VoIP is not Vorbis, but may be Speex. (Someone tell the Speex guys,
I'm not into Speex.)

> For starter, could you name the textbook, so everyone can access that
> information?

Of course!

The book is called:
RTP: Audio and Video for the Internet
by Colin Perkins

Colin is chairman of the AVT working group at IETF and author of the RTP
spec. It has ISBN 0672322498

Linus