[vorbis-dev] win32 SDK call for help

John Edwards john.edwards33 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 17 02:55:12 PST 2003

On Sunday, November 16, 2003 8:18 PM oddsock wrote:

Subject: Re: [vorbis-dev] win32 SDK call for help

> What version of CDex and Windows do you run ? I just tried 1.5.0 and 1.5.1
> of CDex and replaced the ogg, vorbis, vorbisenc dlls with the ones I build
> (static runtime) and ran into problems (edited the settings as
> well)...nothing happened on exit.. I am running XP.

Cdex 1.5.1, XP Pro, SP1.

I think I've nailed the issue which is a situation I've never seen before,
but maybe others have. As a matter of routine, I use UPX to compress
executables/dlls and I've never had any problems before. However, I tried my
own statically linked compiles of the dlls. Using the dlls that had been
compressed with UPX, it appears that the problem is within the
decompression, in memory, of vorbisenc.dll. The uncompressed dlls do not
cause the problem!!

This is the first time I have seen direct evidence of a problem caused by
UPX!! I shall, I think, have to consider discontinuing its use.

Anyway, an interesting aside, but it would appear that your statically
linked dlls are fine after all!!

John