[vorbis-dev] Quicktime components and FLAC

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Nov 28 08:46:49 PST 2003

On 28-nov-03, at 16:55, Ralph Giles wrote:
> I've not looked at the issues my self, but I can repeat some vicious
> rumours. Quicktime has had
> problems with vbr audio support in the past. This may be fixed now,

This was fixed about two years ago, if memory serves.

> There also seems to be a problem with the way vorbis
> passes codec setup information at the start of the stream. I believe
> the current implementation
> uses a hack to get around this.

There is an API for that (and it has been there since 4.0 or so)
so it's not necessary to do some weird hack.

>  A general ogg demuxer that works with multiplexed streams is
> an open question as far as I've heard.

An open question...  well there is a working prototype :-)

> Apple has traditionally not offered us any help, even when
> someone donated a support issue on the topic.

All too true.  On the other hand, the Apple QT developers have
now implemented exactly what we need -- more later.

> iTunes, against all policy if not al reason, doesn't use quicktime
> except for play fallback.

That's because iTunes is older than mp3 support in QT.

> Then
> encoder plugins use some unocumented api. Someone would need to
> reverse-engineer that for full
> xiph-codec support.

Sounds like fun to me, really.

> Perhaps someone who actually knows something can follow up with real
> information :)

Well, I got a nice'n'shiny new PowerBook yesterday, so I'll hack
a bit I think.  One word: "AudioUnits".  The QuickTime part will
be pretty trivial :-)

> Anyway, do keep us appraised of your investigations. We're very
> interested in this. And good luck.

Yes please!