[vorbis-dev] replaygain support

Jack Pavlovsky man at oceanography.ru
Wed Nov 26 09:18:33 PST 2003

John Morton wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 13:08, Paul Martin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:40:49AM +0300, Jack Pavlovsky wrote:
>> > I know this is off-topic, but I'd just like to know if ogg123 is
>> > going to support REPLAYGAIN tags (I've seen that it prints the
>> > replaygain comments, but that's just about it), and if so, in what
>> > timeline?
>>
>> And while you're at it, add a "--gain" option to ogg123. It could be in
>> dB or a percentage (like mpg321).
>

> The vgplay backend code does this, and provides limiting options:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/vgplay/
>

>> I did suggest an ov_read_gain() function, with code, at least a year
>> ago.
>

> It depends on how xiph want to treat libvorbisfile. Right now it contains
> helper functions to make decoding and encoding more straight forward, but
> this doesn't include the kinds of things that are in flac's plugin helper
> library (which includes replaygain calcuations, I believe).
>
> If they where to remain separate, it would be useful to have the integer pcm
> packing code as a separate function, though.
>
> John

Renamed subject.

So, is there any consensus among libvorbisfile developers as what to do with replaygain?
After all, who decides this stuff? - maybe send this question to them?
Replaygain is a good feature and easy to implement. It has to be added somewhere in the
code (default vorbis-tools should support it).

--
The human knowledge belongs to the world