[vorbis-dev] decoder with special features needed: pointers, ideas?

Hartmut Niemann Hartmut.Niemann at gmx.de
Mon Nov 10 23:01:06 PST 2003

Hi everybody,

I want to use a ogg-equipped notebook for playing music for (folk and
ballroom) dancing,
and a player for this should have two features I' like to find or implement:

(1) I want the middle part of a song repeat "endlessly", with two track marks
that I want to hide somewhere in a vorbis comment.
(One day I want to control that with a gui or SIGUSR1 or something else, but
for now it would help if I can play an ogg file from start to e.g. 2:00 and
then jump back to 0:16 and play to the end.)

(2) I would like to manipulate speed and pitch, and even better, if I could
do that independently.

Do you know a decoder/player that can do one or both?

Do you know a good starting point to do it myself?

I startet with ogg123 and (for the loop) ovf_seek as well as
format->cleanup/init/seek, but the results were .. unsatisfactory.
Ogg123 seems to be ready for different formats, but only ogg is supported. Is
that right?

Is there a place in the decoding chain, where the information is in a
frequency domain, and where one could more or less easily change pitch by
shuffling FFT (or alike) coefficients around?

Thank you for your help!

With best regards
Hartmut Niemann