[vorbis-dev] use of 'long' in vorbis structures

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Wed May 21 19:26:35 PDT 2003

>  Actually, Linux at 64bit, Solaris 64bit, HP-UX 64bit, xBSD at 64
> bits, Ultrix, Windows Whatever 64 bits, and I'm taking a wild guess
> and adding OSX when they do the 64bit transition (with the arrival of
> the PPC970 on the fourth quarter, thou OSX may take longer) use LP64
> model. That means long and pointers are 64 bits, integers are 32 bits.
> So I'm most intrigued for you to define "modern sane platform" where
> 64bits actually matters (like 64 bits architectures).

Next time I'll really think twice before being glib on a mailing list.  I've
been knee-deep in Windows PCs and next-generation consoles since 1996 so my
world view is a bit warped.

But since it's clear that longs are in fact many different sizes on
platforms ogg supports, it seems to me that portable code which creates
large arrays of these values should either use exact-sized types
(ogg_int32_t, etc) or at least use a smaller scalar type where appropriate.

I don't understand very much of the codebook code yet, but it seems that
using longs here is a bit of an overkill, 32 bits should be enough.

-Dave