[vorbis-dev] Clean separation of encode and decode?

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Wed May 21 10:15:15 PDT 2003

Is anybody interested in cleanly separating encode and decode in vorbis?  I'm trying to take a stab at it myself from the head of cvs as of this morning, but it looks like a lot of files contain both encode-only and decode-only functions.  An obvious one is mdct.c, which contains mdct_forward and mdct_backward (which isn't that big of a deal, since both are pretty well-contained, but it could be easily fixed by moving all of the helper functions into a header file).

A more complicated one is block.c, which contains several calls into psy.c, which I would presume should be mostly encode-only.

I'm working by starting with decoder_example.c and compiling by hand adding in more .c files until it links properly.

My main reason for doing this is that based on recent mails to the list, decode really doesn't need double-precision arithmetic and my platform has single-precision arithmetic but not double-precision.

Also, for what it's worth, now that tremor exists does it make any sense to keep the float-or-int macros (MULT_NORM, etc) in mdct.c?

Thanks again,

-Dave