[vorbis-dev] I've pulled the plug on viewcvs

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Mar 22 12:01:52 PST 2003

Hi,

I've had sleep and the morning coffee.  I'll be less irritable and make
clearer points.

.) viewcvs is useful; never said it wasn't (just don't use it myself).
Ralph: If you want to put the time into debugging the problem, feel
free.  I didn't clearly recall who had originally installed it and I
didn't want it being blindly reenbaled; folks were having trouble even
connecting last night.  Whether it was a break due to some other
upgrade, a DDoS or just a spider innocently running amock, it had to
stop.

.) Motherfish-II is a single somewhat obsolete machine (albeit not as
obsolete as Motherfish-I).  If any one thing goes amuck or goes wrong,
it stands a chance to eliminate our entire central Net presence.
Considering that xiph.org exists purely in the mind of the Net, that's
bad, Ray.  Now, I don't pretend that we're a vital service that
requires 100% uptime, but we're currently needlessly courting
disaster, compounded by not having any one admin who claims ultimate
responsibility for the machine.  It's not that I want, conceptually,
to see the extra services go; I want to see them running on multiple
machines so that a CGI error like this doesn't also compromise the
rest of web, DNS, mail, CVS and so on.

.) In terms of ultimate admin responsibility, it's traditionally been
myself and jack on two machines. When we went to the new space,
Shredder and Motherfish-I became the single Motherfish-II.  I don't
have time to spare to be the ultimate admin when things break.  Our
core development is badly bottlenecked on me as it is.

Monty