[vorbis-dev] DocBook and XML

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Mar 10 20:32:23 PST 2003

> [In case it was not clear: I don't want DocBook eliminated.  It is a
> perfectly acceptible choice for the authoritative original
> documentation.  It does not belong in a library build, and takes the
> 'no generated files in CVS' dogma a bit too far.
>
> We need to move the DocBook out of the source code modules or make
> building them optional only and/or move them to another module and
> simply ship generated HTML witht he library source code modules.]

The problem here is that you don't have your stuff set up right.  You
don't need to make net connections if you have the proper catalog.  As
far as I know, Debian (unstable at least) has very reasonable defaults
in all these areas, and I've not had any problems.  That being said,
I've had more than one fight with DocBook XML tools, but that's to be
expected in some ways, at least until everyone gets the bugs out.

You are correct about having them in a library build.  It at least
shouldn't be built by default, only on 'make doc' or something.  This is
part of the reason why I originally suggested moving docs out of the
vorbis tree.

I vote for a 'make doc' target and an reasonable expectation of tool
support for people who will run 'make doc'.  I don't believe that any
links to sourceforge are required, but Ralph will no more about that.
Minimally I think a person will need xsltproc or xalan, as well as the
stylesheets for docbook.  If you want PDF output, you'll also need a fop
processor.

jack.