[vorbis-dev] Vorbis packet sizes

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Jun 4 06:45:10 PDT 2003

> It would be good, in my opinion, to actually place some more constraints in
> the spec. It's hard to advertise "Supports Ogg Vorbis 1.0" when you know
> that's not true in all cases. What you actually meant is "Supports OggEnc
> 1.0 files, and YMMV".
>
> - John Ripley.

John,

We agree - this is something we do eventually want to do, but we haven't got
around to it yet.

We may end up specifying more than one profile - a simple/minimal one for
devices with very minimal memory/cpu (it might also leave out bits like floor
0, which aren't really used any more), and a more complex one that leaves
most of the full spec flexibility in, but limits things like codebook and
packet sizes to sane levels. None of this is really decided on yet, though.

Mike