[vorbis-dev] Vorbis packet sizes

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Thu Jun 5 07:31:21 PDT 2003

> It would be good, in my opinion, to actually place some more constraints
in
> the spec. It's hard to advertise "Supports Ogg Vorbis 1.0" when you know
> that's not true in all cases. What you actually meant is "Supports OggEnc
> 1.0 files, and YMMV".

I've been meaning to ask this for a while -- is there a way to pass
particular parameters to oggenc to guarantee that the maximum memory
required to decode a stream is bounded?  In particular, I'd be willing to
give up some compression if it kept the codebooks smaller.  I'm looking to
support ogg on gaming consoles where I have total control over the exact
content I'm going to play.

For that matter, is there a way to encode a stream in such a way that it
will consume less CPU time to play back (probably at the expense of some
compression).  Thinking about it a little bit, at least part of the decode
process time must linear in the output sample rate, so I'm thinking of doing
voiceovers or walla at 24Khz or even possibly 16Khz.  I'm hoping I can do
music (stereo), walla (stereo), and voiceover (mono) all at the same time
for less than the cost of two full 48Khz stereo streams.

(Yes, I've also played with lowmem-branch a bit; I'm not sure I'm ready to
pay the CPU cost yet though)

-Dave