[vorbis-dev] Normalization of ogg vorbis file

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Mon Jun 2 02:37:22 PDT 2003

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 21:22, Vitaly Nechyos wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Could you help me with the question: Is there a way to calculate
> amplitude and normalize an ogg vorbis file without full reencoding
> (Ogg Vorbis->PCM->Ogg Vorbis) of the file?

Use replaygain[1], or specifically vorbisgain[2]. It will calculate gain
values that you can apply to a given file to bring it's volume in line with a
reference volume, and store that information in a vorbiscomment field
in the vorbis file. If you run vorbisgain over all of your vorbis encoded
music and then play them in a player that's replaygain capable (winamp,
xmms), they will all come out at a similar volume.

This is what people usually want when they say 'normalization'. AFAIK, you
can't easily tinker with the vorbis frames to add a scale factor in the same
way you can with MP3, but I could be wrong.

[1] http://replaygain.org/
[2] http://users.pandora.be/sjeng/vorbisgain.html

John