[vorbis-dev] PlusV algorithm

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Jan 29 08:41:47 PST 2003

"Rany ." wrote:

> Well, I've seen the old discussion about the SBR, and I don't agree that Ogg is comparable to Mp3Pro. Ogg easily beats Mp3Pro at medium and high bitrates. But Mp3Pro is FAR better at low bitrates <=64 kbps. All benchmarks say that Mp3Pro is the very best codec for such bitrates.
>
> What is Mp3Pro? It is Mp3 for low frequencies + SBR for high ones. Ogg (better than Mp3) for low frequencies + PlusV (better than SBR) for high frequencies - might be the best codec for lower bitrates too. Sounds cool, doesn't it?

The conclusion was that Vorbis doesn't need SBR. And there's still
tuning headroom in Vorbis, despite its current performance.

To find out the important parts about MP3pro:
http://www.mp3licensing.com/ :P

> > So, why do you want to set the lowpass, as it's very high
>
> Strangely. Then why the benchmark says: "And now look at the OGG at 350 Kbit - it cuts frequencies even at the level of 16 KHz." Is this true?
>
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/oggvslame/

"Benchmark" :D

Well, apart from the fact that this thing is hopelessly outdated and the
author thinks that Ogg is an abbrevation for something, "benchmarks"
with graphs, bells and whistles really tell you nothing about how good a
lossy codec sounds. The only way to tell is through double blind
listening tests and stuff like that. If you want to read more about
proper testing that can be done at home, check out
http://www.ff123.net/.