[vorbis-dev] PlusV algorithm

volsung at mailsnare.net volsung at mailsnare.net
Wed Jan 29 08:41:44 PST 2003

Quoting "Rany ." <rany74 at mail.ru>:

> But Mp3Pro is FAR better at low bitrates <=64 kbps. All benchmarks say that
> Mp3Pro is the very best codec for such bitrates.

I really don't want to start a codec-war thread, but this statement isn't true.  Some listening tests may say MP3Pro is best, but certainly not ALL of them.  The c't test didn't show any significant difference between Vorbis and MP3Pro, and the ff123.net test similarly didn't show any significant difference between the two.  (Of course, if you don't like stats and decide to throw out the error bars on both tests, Vorbis came out ahead on c't and MP3Pro came out ahead on ff123.net.  So, it's still ambiguous.)

All I'm trying to say is that there are not "obvious" winners and losers among the current generation of codecs at 64 kbps.

---
Stan Seibert