[vorbis-dev] Blocked encoding question

Ronald Bos bosr at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Feb 13 02:17:05 PST 2003

Hello everybody,

Since there is almost no documentation on the vorbis algorithm I have to
post some questions on this list. To remind you: I am trying to implement a
parallel (multithreaded) ogg encoder, using a manager-worker model.

1. About the vorbis algorithm. I plan to let the workers each process a
buffer of vorbis_blocks. The point is that each worker has to start
somewhere and can not use previous encoded blocks. A solution could be to
let each worker start a (few) block(s) earlier to 'seed'/initialize the
encoding process. Illustration:

thread 1 |-----|
thread 2     |-----|

After encoding, I discard these overlapping blocks. Is this needed? Can
someone shed his light on the dependency/correlation between the adjacent
vorbis_blocks?

2. In general, is there more documentation on the vorbis encoding algorithm?
This could be very useful in deciding if and how the encoding process can be
made parallel. I know quite a few things about digital signal coding theory
so don't be afraid to send me complex things.

Ronald Bos
BSc. Electrical Engineering
 Philips Research Laboratories
 E-mail: bosr at natlab.research.philips.com