[vorbis-dev] vorbis on playstation 2

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Thu Feb 6 11:55:51 PST 2003

> Hey, that number looks almost good enough to run on a PS1... er, I mean
> IOP! Of course, it would depend on what else you wanted to do with the
> IOP at the same time, but it is one of the most underused CPUs within
> the PS2 during normal games.

I just asked that exact same question on the official developer newsgroups,
and one of the responses indicated that for comparison, some basic integer
ADPCM decode ran about three times faster on the EE than the IOP even after
accounting for the clock rate differences.  But the same gentleman also
suggested that Tremor is probably a better starting point even if we recode
parts of it in floating-point vector assembly since it's already had a lot
of other optimizations done to it.

-Dave