[vorbis-dev] vorbis on playstation 2

Timothy Wayper timmy at wunderbear.com
Thu Feb 6 11:52:43 PST 2003

>> Total cycles spent in ov_read was about 953,446,828 cycles.  My test
> sample
>> was 41_30secOgg-q0.ogg from the vorbis website.
>
> The resulting output was 5,292,048 bytes.  The PS2 expects raw pcm
> audio at
> 48Khz, or 192,000 bytes per second.
>
> (pardon the formatting here)
>
> 953,446,828 cycles          192,000 bytes
> --------------------    x  ------------------  = 34,591,861 cycles /
> second
> 5,292,048 bytes                   second
>
> Since the CPU runs at 294,912,000 cycles / second, that's about 12% of
> the
> CPU time to decode.

Hey, that number looks almost good enough to run on a PS1... er, I mean
IOP! Of course, it would depend on what else you wanted to do with the
IOP at the same time, but it is one of the most underused CPUs within
the PS2 during normal games.

I'd try it myself, except we're only PS2 Linux developers at the
moment, so the IOP is out of bounds. :-P

Cheers,
Tim Wayper