[vorbis-dev] Encoding, documentation, questions

Johannes Sandvall js at sandvall.nu
Mon Dec 8 06:59:00 PST 2003

On Mon 08 Dec 2003 15:42:50 CET, Lourens Veen wrote:
> On Mon 8 December 2003 13:30, Johannes Sandvall wrote:
> > As part of the documentation of a Vorbis decoding project, a
> > quick explanation of the encoding procedure is required. I quite
> > up to date with the decoding process but not with the encoding
> > part.
> >
> > Is there any documentation explaining the different steps during
> > encoding?
>
> Well, Vorbis isn't really a codec specification. It's a bitstream
> specification, that says how a certain file should be played. How
> to encode exactly is not a part of the standard, and it doesn't
> have to be. After all it doesn't really matter how the Vorbis file
> comes into existance if you just want to exchange it. So, what you
> are probably looking for is an overview of how the current Vorbis
> reference encoder works.
>
> I Googled http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200303/0113.html, but
> that page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps the author is still
> reachable though.

That only the decoding steps are part of the standard and fully
documented that's one thing. And I understand so far as the block
schedule in the link.

But since I'm only writing documentation of the encoding,
understanding the code may take a bit to long.

More specifically what I'm after is specific steps. Like VQ learning?
process (LBG?). Which frequency masking tricks are done and so on.

Regards Johannes