[vorbis-dev] Encoding, documentation, questions

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Mon Dec 8 06:42:50 PST 2003

On Mon 8 December 2003 13:30, Johannes Sandvall wrote:
> As part of the documentation of a Vorbis decoding project, a
> quick explanation of the encoding procedure is required. I quite
> up to date with the decoding process but not with the encoding
> part.
>
> Is there any documentation explaining the different steps during
> encoding?

Well, Vorbis isn't really a codec specification. It's a bitstream
specification, that says how a certain file should be played. How
to encode exactly is not a part of the standard, and it doesn't
have to be. After all it doesn't really matter how the Vorbis file
comes into existance if you just want to exchange it. So, what you
are probably looking for is an overview of how the current Vorbis
reference encoder works.

I Googled http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200303/0113.html, but
that page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps the author is still
reachable though.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key