[vorbis-dev] Yet another vf question...

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Mon Dec 15 23:48:40 PST 2003

Should I ov_clear a failed ov_open/test/test_open call?

The xmms plugin does an fclose on failure, and that seems to work, but I
thought I ought to know for certain.

(An observation: I think the quantity of questions and bugs raised along the
lines of "I did open file, ov_open, ov_read, close file, open another file,
ov_read, and it exploded", or "I tried to make vorbisfile go in [some
language with a deceptively C like stdio] and it didn't work" are probably
due to the asymmetry in the callback set - there are callback hooks for read,
seek, tell and close, but none for open. Is there any particular reason for
this? (I realize it's to late in the day to fix the API in any fashion, but
it's possible that oggfile might be able to avoid this API usability flaw.))

John