[vorbis-dev] Encoder for Pocket PCs

Rado Buransky buro at resco-net.com
Mon Aug 18 00:08:30 PDT 2003

Hi Jonathan!

    I'm have Dell Axim 300 MHz, iPAQ 5450 400 MHz and two smartphones. Those smartphones aren't very smart (and fast) at this time. I have already optimized famous Lame library (used for MP3 encoding), which uses floats, and it is able to encode sound real-time even on the slowest machines I have. But I must tell you that I don't have any experience with Ogg Vorbis. I just thought it is good idea to have an encoder for Pocket PC. If you know something about Vorbis encoder (or you know someone who could help us), we can begin to work on that project and completely replace floats by fixed-point numbers. But I'm sorry, I'm not experienced enough to lead.
    I have Intel IPP library for XScales and also library which supports pipelining. It's support for some 64-bit co-processor. I'm planning to buy that VTune and compiler from Intel. This could be good starting point to begin with.

Rado