AW: [vorbis-dev] J-Ogg is available

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de
Thu Apr 10 14:49:13 PDT 2003

> I am just letting my mind run here, but there seems to be an interesting
> idea here:
>
> Since the java class is so small to play the file, wouldn't it be cool
> to work out a standard to embed the java class into the ogg stream?  It
> is like a special type of header.  In this way, new codecs could
> (optionally) include a java jar to decode the codec embedded in the
> stream.
>
> At 30 kB, who would care?
>
> This would be a cute way to make new media types availible.

Perhaps not a bad idea, but adding code to support decoder embedding, would
probably make the basic player larger than 30kB :) The small size is also
achieved by optimizing and packaging the player as a whole. If I package the
Ogg demultiplexer and the Vorbis decoder separately, they end up at 18 and
26 kB each and in addition to that you need the player code. The most
reasonable usage for the applet would anyway be to host it together with the
stream itself, so I think it would then make more sense to package a
customized applet for this specific stream (if it uses a non-standard
format) and then run that jar file through a code optimizer.

I think your idea would fit better in an installable player and perhaps not
embed the decoder itself in the stream, but a URL where the codec could be
downloaded. In that case the player may choose to implement some sort of
plugin cache to minimize downloads.

Anyway it's perhaps not a very good idea at all to encourage the use of
non-standard formats :-/

Tor