[vorbis-dev] Using large-scale repetition in audio compression

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Thu Sep 19 03:44:42 PDT 2002

This idea is so simple that I'm sure it must have been thought of
before, and discarded, since AFAIK it's not used anywhere. I did a
quick web search but that didn't turn up much, so I figured I'd put
it up for discussion here anyway.

How about using large-scale repetition in audio compression? I'm
thinking of redundancy in repeated pieces of a song, ie a chorus.
Ofcourse, the different choruses aren't exactly the same (unless it
was mixed digitally and they cheated :-)), but wouldn't there be at
least some redundancy in the frequency domain? And could that be
used to lower the required bitrate for repeated parts of a song?

Ofcourse this is hard to do when streaming live audio, or even when
streaming from a fixed source if you don't buffer the entire
broadcast on the client side, but for compressing a song from a CD
I'd say that it would work.

Obviously, it's not used (at least AFAIK) so there must be something
against it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key