[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Conrad Parker conrad at vergenet.net
Mon Oct 14 20:04:31 PDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:58:24PM +0200, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> Some of my suggestions have been implemented by you in the specification,
> but some of my questions are still left unanswered. I understand,
> that you have other things to do, but if noone has time to do work
> on the specification anyway, then I hope that you understand, that
> I have no interest in wasting my time writing emails, which are not
> read by anyone.

Hi Tor,

I'm new here, but I just had a quick scan of the mail archives. It appears
that you pointed out a number of inconsistencies between the spec and the
libvorbis reference implementation during the last three weeks (21 days).

During this timeframe, some of your proposed corrections have already been
adopted, some were refused, some are still pending verification, and some
were retracted by you as misunderstandings. That's a lot of activity in
quite a short timeframe (especially for any kind of standards process!),
and shows that you are making valuable contribution to this project.

I'd guess that the few items which are still pending may be difficult to
verify immediately, and may simply require a time-consuming comparison of
the specification document and various existing vorbis implementations.

With patience, it would get looked at, but you seem to require urgency.
It's possible that others on vorbis-dev could help out, but unfortunately
it seems your proposals only exist in the text of various very short
emails with little or no explanation. It is difficult for someone else to
understand the extent of the inconsistencies, or to know which are still
active (not already fixed or retracted).

It would be useful if you could provide an up-to-date summary of your
proposed corrections, in which you could outline which have not yet been
applied that you think should be, and a short paragraph of rationale for
each of those. That would be a useful contribution to the project.

After all, you know these problems best, and if you can accurately
describe them in a way that people without deep vorbis knowledge can
understand them, then others can look at them and verify them, which would
take the workload away from the core developers.

Even so, it might take a few weeks for others to verify the problems,
just as it took you a few weeks to find them. Please have patience, your
emails are being both read and archived. You (Tor) are doing great work on
the specification.

Conrad.