[vorbis-dev] Digital Radio Monial www.drm.org

Robert Michel Robert.Michel at post.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Oct 14 14:53:06 PDT 2002

Salve Tor-Eimar,

I must agree your arguments: the choice of the DRM standard wich
codecs will be used are made:

No chance for ogg vorbis or any other codec to become used with DRM
nor tomorrow nor in 20 years.

I ony still fear that may licence cost would  be to expensive for small or
NGO radios.

> Is there a reason why you think the broadcasters won't be using
> uncompressed PCM for production?

If an journalist report form an region with only few, slow expensive data
connections, he will used the same codec and bitrate that DRM is going
to broadcast.
One example is the Zimbabwe independent radiostation "voice of the people"
which have send their program via PC to Netherland and rebroadcast via
SW back to Zimbabwe.
BBC, RFI, dwelle .... will have no problem to use uncompressed PCM,
but small radio projects.

succsessfull: ogg vorbis and DRM ( but unhappyly with MP4) and try to
support both.

Greetings,
rob

theoreticaly use:
DRM can be recieved by analog radio reciver and be decode with a PC.
So it would be possibe to broadcast ogg vorbis via LW, MW, SW
- in case that someone see a sence to decode it with a PC ony ;-)