[vorbis-dev] Digital Radio Monial www.drm.org

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de
Mon Oct 14 06:44:20 PDT 2002

Fredag, 11 oktober 2002, skrev du:

>Ok, here argue against this statment step by step:
>
>>Such improvements in audio coding, if obtainable, will probably
not provide
>>backwards compatibility with existing coding and decoding processes.
>This is why a flashable reciever is needed.

This will make the receiver too expensive. One of the DRM consortium's
criteria for the new standard is, that a receiver should not cost
more than 25 US$ more than a regular radio.

>>In order to allow for such a possible upgrade, it would be necessary
>>download completely new audio decoder software into the receiver.
>DRM can transmitt data, too. So an new codec could be tranmitted one in
>5-60 Minutes to flash the receivers.

DRM seems to be using 16 or 24 kbps for audio transmissions, where
bit-errors can be tolerated. I don't know if any bit-rates are defined
as standard for data transmisions, but if you assume an achievable
error-less bit-rate of 8 kbps, it will take at least one minute to
transmit a 60 kB decoder-module. A regular radio station is probably
not willing to make one minute breaks every now and then for transmitting
proprietary decoder software.

>>This would preclude manufacturers from achieving the maximum economy
of chip
>>design and power consumption that tends to come from using a dedicated

>>receiver chip set.
>80% dsp power is needed for the general transmission lawer,
>20% dsp power for the audiocodec.
>If the audiocodec is 1/3 less efficient must the dsp 7% more powerfull.

But you would need a generic DSP with a flashable ROM for the software.
If only a fixed set of codecs are in use, a specialized chip for
this purpose can be made at a much lower cost (like it is done in
DVD players today).

>>Also it would require foreknowledge of the processing power and
memory that
>>the receiver would require for any such new audio decoder.
>How much power does a flash ROM need? 50% ?
>How much % is this form the whole system? 0.01% ?
>So this would consume 0.005% more power?

You need quite a lot of power to actually flash the ROM, and such
an operation is generally risky with battery-operated equipment,
as it is difficult to be sure that the available battery power is
enough to complete the flash sequence.

>Handys are flashable, too. This feature reduce developing and >productionscost.

phone, where it is possible to install new speech codecs.

>As I told you, if you broadcast via DRM with MP4 you will produce
in MP4, too.

Is there a reason why you think the broadcasters won't be using uncompressed
PCM for production?

>So which codec will DRM-broadcaster use for internet-streaming?

WMA or Real, as most are using today?

Tor