[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Oct 10 11:39:06 PDT 2002

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> get it to a production quality level. I did indeed expect from Xiph
> to take care about the correctnes of the specification when they
> are distributing one. I did also expect that there are reference
> files available to test new decoder implementations. There are not,
> and the available encoders don't make use of all parts of the specification,
> making self-generated vorbis files not very suitable for tests.

Your wishes are perfectly reasonable, it's important to have both a
correct documentation and reference files.

I didn't follow your bug reports about the documentation - you said you
have the feeling that your help wasn't appreciated. I haven't seen any
help Xiph gets from people not being appreciated ... maybe it drowned in
the list traffic or it's still on Monty's to-do list. I guess it'd be a
good idea if bugs.xiph.org would provide a section for documentation
bugs - that could prevent those things from happening. I just filed an
"enhancement bug", let's hope this is something the Xiph guys can agree
on.

However, your *expectations* make me cringe. The current state of
affairs seems to be okay for the majority of developers, so it's logical
that other things, e.g. Theora, are further up the list of priorities.
You can expect things to be done when you funded the work. Or you can
figure out your problems yourself and send patches to Monty. I can't
believe that either of this would be unappreciated.

That said, I just find it plain wrong that you dismiss Ogg*'s openness
as unimportant. Without the ideals Xiph.org stands for we wouldn't have
anything. And yes, I do expect Xiph to live up to these ideals, since
they're most important.