[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 10 13:30:47 PDT 2002

> The problem is, that I cannot use libvorbis for a project I am working
> on, and I made the mistake to invest quite a lot of time on developing
> a new Vorbis decoder before I realized that it is not possible to
> get it to a production quality level. I did indeed expect from Xiph
> to take care about the correctnes of the specification when they
> are distributing one.

At this point, it's possibly your one reasonable expectation.  It's
easier to appreciate help coming in from someone who isn't injecting
"I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, you suck" between the lines.

We're volunteers working our asses off to compete with the world's
largest software companies on their own terms.  I cannot and will not
drop everything I'm doing the second a piece of mail comes in from
someone who demands attention *right now* because of simple
impatience.  Show a little more self sufficiency while we're
bootstrapping and I'll be willing to lend help.  I haven't actually
coded in a few days now... *I've been answering mail*.  My inbox this
morning was ~500 new messages.  How long do I spend each day if I
spend only one minute answering each?  Do the math.  FWIW, this one is
likely closer to ten minutes.

> I did also expect that there are reference
> files available to test new decoder implementations. There are not,
> and the available encoders don't make use of all parts of the specification,
> making self-generated vorbis files not very suitable for tests.

Fix it yourself (the open source way), make a polite suggestion and
wait patiently, or shut up and go away.  This is a volunteer,
community effort, not 'gimme! gimme!  gimme! Now!' and I can't do it
all myself.  I *have* appreciated all the correction mails you sent.
I handled each one when it came in.  Did I miss one somewhere?  I'd
rather fix it then spend time bowing, scraping and apologizing for
inadvertantly dropping a piece of mail.

I'm really getting sick of the general sense of entitlement people
seem to be growing when something isn't exactly what they want.  How
*dare* we not have perfect code, perfect docs, and everything
completed today.  You submitted a few patches.  Great (and I mean
that!)  I've been working on this for nearly ten years.  I don't give
free blowjobs too.

Monty