[vorbis-dev] Carrying non-audio data in an Ogg/Vorbis I stream

Ralph Giles zen6669 at zen.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 14:30:47 PST 2002

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 09:36 PM, Svante Seleborg wrote:

> I'll check with Monty. I want to add a new 'private' packet at some
> level of the stream, probably at the Ogg level, but I want it to
> be compatible with existing players. The contents of this should
> be opaque.

You may also be able to stuff the data inside the comment header.
Define your own tag insteaded. That only works if you have the data a
priori, of course.

> Do you have any practical real-world knowledge how existing players
> will actually interpret let's say a file consisting of three
> separate Ogg-streams, the first and the third being Vorbis-streams,
> and the middle one being 'unkown'?

Garbage in chained bitstreams? vorbisfile seems to skip garbage ok.

What I haven't tested is multiplexed streams. I don't think the
reference library ever got fixed, especially since the spec reads the
way it does. The seek logic relies fairly heavily on the bitstream
being degenerate.

  -r