[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Frank Grotelueschen fgro at gmx.de
Wed Oct 9 11:32:02 PDT 2002

Hi there

In the past, i have used lame to encode high quality mp3-files
(vbr 1, bitrate ~ 192kbit). I tend to switch to ogg with Quality 4
or 5, but i noticed, that many ogg-files tend to produce too much
high frequencies response. In many cases, this is very noticeable.
For my opinion, i cannot accept this worse frequence reponse.
I have used latest version of ogg (OggEnc v1.0, precompiled binary).

To demonstrate this, i have made a short sample:
http://home.t-online.de/home/520022073876/highfreq.zip
The length is 2MB.

It includes the original wav-file (5sec length) and ogg-files from
quality 0 up to 10. This effect is very noticable from q0 to q4,
it is then reduced more and more from q5 up to q10.
Quality 10 sound ok, the frequence response is flat. But the
filesize is much too high for using it.

I hope, this can be fixed in a further version of ogg.

Sorry for crossposting in vorbis at xiph.org and vorbis-dev at xiph.org,
but i don't know which list is the better place for this topic.

Frank