[vorbis-dev] ACM codec

Dambrin Didier gol at image-line.com
Mon Nov 11 04:49:09 PST 2002

> I successfully contacted him, received source code, and got permission to
post it on my site for a project we did -- www.on2.com/vpvision.  Please
feel free to use that code off my site under the license terms, which I
believe were GPL or LGPL.

o you use it to encode the sound for a software VCR? cool

various reasons that Monty can explain if he is so inclined.  In a nutshell,
there isn't a good match between Vorbis in its present state and the ACM
interface.  This project used six different ACM tags, I never got a clear
understanding of the differences between them.

Yes that's my problem too, his doc seems to tell about that, but in
japanese. I already encoded a lot of my samples, I used 'mode 1' for safety.
What I understood is that only bad uses of the ACM SDK were a problem, &
indeed, it is a problem for CoolEdit that apparently can't load back ogg
encoded waves (& can't save them in a proper way, anyway). Works like a
charm with SoundForge, & the most important for me, FruityLoops loads them
perfectly.

I also wanted to know how 'strong' the codec was, that is, in case someone
else changes the specs a little, if it'd conflict with the version our app
would install, in case it's registered the same way in the system. I read
that you indeed patched but renamed his original codec - do you think I
should rather use yours? Did you fix some things, or enhance it for your
app's needs maybe?

In fact I also wanted to know if it's fine for him that we auto-install the
codec ourselves (I guess so). I didn't plan to use his sources, I'm fine
with the codec installed on the user's system, so that he can use it as
well.