[vorbis-dev] UTF-8 & Hebrew

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Mar 6 17:39:27 PST 2002

If don't quite understand.

I understood that UTF-8 utilizes as many 8-bit characters as it needs to
store the required entended character.  I think that can be up to 4
bytes (32 bits).  The old 16-bit unicode standard is apparently on it's
way out.

Currently if I (or you) enter an Arial #216 character (O slash,Ø) into a
comment, it is saved as 2 bytes (C398) and displayed correctly as one
character in my app & the Winamp comment editor, so I don't understand
why this works but the Hebrew characters do not.  Is it that UTF-8 is
not fully supported in Windows.

Ross.