[vorbis-dev] [fwd] CVS: ogg123 rocks! vcut no so much so... (from: wayfarer42@postmaster.co.uk)

Ben Stanley bds02 at uow.edu.au
Sun Jul 28 22:55:49 PDT 2002

Michael Smith wrote:

>>I couldn't get --advanced-encoder-option to work.  However, it seemed to work as --advanced [option=whatever].
>>

>It's --advanced-encode-option (there was a mistake at one point in the
>manpage in 1.0 which indicated --advanced-encoder-option. Not sure why
>--advanced works at all - maybe some quirk of getopt.

getopt will accept all unique shortenings of long form arguments.

 From the man page:

       A long option normally begins with `--'  followed  by  the
       long  option name.  If the option has a required argument,
       it may be written directly after  the  long  option  name,
       separated  by  `=', or as the next argument (ie. separated
       by whitespace on the command line).  If the option has  an
       optional  argument,  it must be written directly after the
       long option name, separated by `=', if present (if you add
       the  `=' but nothing behind it, it is interpreted as if no
       argument was present; this is a slight bug, see the BUGS).
*      Long  options may be abbreviated, as long as the abbrevia­
*      tion is not ambiguous.

Ben.