[vorbis-dev] cvs: debian updates and autogen.sh trouble

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Thu Jul 11 08:54:44 PDT 2002

> 1. When special tools are necessary, it should be

These aren't special tools.  These are the standard tools you need to
build most relatively complex GNU packages on Linux and various Unices.
You only need them when building from CVS.  If you want to build from
CVS, you can expect to have difficulty and should be reasonable prepared
for such.  If you want easy to build, wait for 1.0, or ask someone in
#vorbis or here for an interim tarball.

> 2. Updated to the versions mentioned by Garf:
>
>    - gettext-0.11.2
>    - automake (GNU automake) 1.4
>    - autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
>    - ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.54 2001/09/11 03:33:37)
>
> Note you are writing archiving software, not a demo software for the 2002
> football WM. Don't overload the project by nice but highly inportable
> gimicks! You need a simple tool converting a Ogg Vorbis to raw PCM.

We are writing a codec.  Any tools we've provided are from the goodness
of our hearts.  That said, oggdec is what you want.

jack.