[vorbis-dev] cvs: debian updates and autogen.sh trouble

vorbis at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de vorbis at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de
Wed Jul 10 23:45:38 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:42:03AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> >checking for ranlib... ranlib
> >checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
> >checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> >checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
> >checking whether ln -s works... yes
> >./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
> >configure: error: libtool configure failed
> >f:/home/cvs/vorbis #
> >

> >I tried it on several systems (two SuSE, a Redhat, a home brew system).
> >May be Ogg Vorbis is Debian only?
>
> Definately not - hell, we even have redhat RPM spec files supplied in CVS.
> This generally means you have obsolete or broken versions of one or more of:
> automake, autoconf, gettext, libtool.

1. When special tools are necessary, it should be

   - documented
   - check for it and an error message should be printed out
   - best would be to add all special tools to the project (background:
     Find an ancient Dual-Layer-DVD in 2013 with Ogg Vorbis files and you want to decode
     it on your 16 CPU machine running PLETS-OS, 1 Terabyte of RAM,
     Command line processor is a Perl 11.4.7 system, there's a C$-Compiler
     with a switch going back to old C99 standard conform compiling)

2. Updated to the versions mentioned by Garf:

   - gettext-0.11.2
   - automake (GNU automake) 1.4
   - autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
   - ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.54 2001/09/11 03:33:37)

Note you are writing archiving software, not a demo software for the 2002
football WM. Don't overload the project by nice but highly inportable
gimicks! You need a simple tool converting a Ogg Vorbis to raw PCM.

--
Frank Klemm