[vorbis-dev] [fwd] CVS: ogg123 rocks! vcut no so much so... (from: wayfarer42@postmaster.co.uk)

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jul 28 21:55:05 PDT 2002

>I couldn't get --advanced-encoder-option to work.  However, it seemed to work as --advanced [option=whatever].

It's --advanced-encode-option (there was a mistake at one point in the
manpage in 1.0 which indicated --advanced-encoder-option. Not sure why
--advanced works at all - maybe some quirk of getopt.

>vcut is still rough.  Sometimes, I'll get the "file too short?" errors as I'm trimming four-hour-long files, and this failed:
>
>vcut 0100rhc.ogg a.ogg b.ogg $((9600*60*202))
>
>...but this will work...
>
>vcut 0100rhc.ogg a.ogg b.ogg $((9600*60*202-1200))
>
>Note that vcut can make files in which playing will succeed but seeking will fail.  In the past, I'd test a file by doing something like `ogg123 foo.ogg -k 15`.  If the file works in ogg123, then it will work in Winamp and Xinf.  RC3 ogg123 would be graceful, but CVS ogg123 will hang to the point where Ctrl-C doesn't work, and I have to `killall ogg123` from another virtual console.  Something to work out?

Not sure about the ogg123 bug, but vcut is known to be very buggy. I wrote
it more as a proof-of-concept than as something for people to really use
much. It works for simple cases, but doesn't handle some things at all.

>I'm not sure what to make of ogginfo.  With RC3 ogginfo, I could do something like this...
>
>find -type f -name *.ogg -exec ogginfo {} \; >> files.txt
>grep "^total_playtime=" files.txt > lengths.txt
>
>...or grep whatever.  I'm looking for a new strategy to replace my old "grep header_integrity=" test.  That's not a request for help, only an observation that I like the geeky RC3 ogginfo program better so far.

ogginfo in rc3 didn't actually work correctly in many, many cases. So I
rewrote it, and did the output in a nicer way. ogginfo was never intended
to be a tool for automated stuff like that (though you can doubtless still
do something), part of the reason for the new output format was a concious
desire to discourage it further (too many broken programs were using it
in particularly bad ways).