[vorbis-dev] [fwd] CVS: ogg123 rocks! vcut no so much so... (from: wayfarer42@postmaster.co.uk)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jul 28 14:02:37 PDT 2002

Some detailed feedback that looks useful.

----- Forwarded message from Michael Semon <wayfarer42 at postmaster.co.uk> -----

Delivery-Date: Tue Jul 16 05:29:37 2002
From: "Michael Semon" <wayfarer42 at postmaster.co.uk>
Subject: CVS:  ogg123 rocks!  vcut no so much so...
To: feedback at vorbis.com

Hi!  Being impatient for RC4, I downloaded enough of cygwin so I could CVS ao/ogg/vorbis/vorbis-tools and transfer it to my Internet-free Linux boxen.  [Can't there be an easier way?]  Reviews so far:

ogg123 rocks!  Before, I had to make "playlists" using symbolic links.  Now, I just make a playlist, like any sane human being would do.

I wish that ogg123 -@ *.m3u would concatenate playlists, instead of considering the first playlist as a playlist and the rest as failed ogg files.  Also, I wish there was an option for ogg123 to sort directories.  At least with ReiserFS on Linux, file order in a directory is basically random.

Oh, for oggenc on my files, RC3 used 62% CPU on my Pentium 75.  The latest CVS uses 44% CPU.  Good work!  Also, I'd be glad to share my recording processes, though they'd not be nearly as sexy as the vorbis.com articles.

Full bitrate management works but is slow.  No big deal, at least it works now.

I couldn't get --advanced-encoder-option to work.  However, it seemed to work as --advanced [option=whatever].

vcut is still rough.  Sometimes, I'll get the "file too short?" errors as I'm trimming four-hour-long files, and this failed:

vcut 0100rhc.ogg a.ogg b.ogg $((9600*60*202))

...but this will work...

vcut 0100rhc.ogg a.ogg b.ogg $((9600*60*202-1200))

Note that vcut can make files in which playing will succeed but seeking will fail.  In the past, I'd test a file by doing something like `ogg123 foo.ogg -k 15`.  If the file works in ogg123, then it will work in Winamp and Xinf.  RC3 ogg123 would be graceful, but CVS ogg123 will hang to the point where Ctrl-C doesn't work, and I have to `killall ogg123` from another virtual console.  Something to work out?

I'm not sure what to make of ogginfo.  With RC3 ogginfo, I could do something like this...

find -type f -name *.ogg -exec ogginfo {} \; >> files.txt
grep "^total_playtime=" files.txt > lengths.txt

...or grep whatever.  I'm looking for a new strategy to replace my old "grep header_integrity=" test.  That's not a request for help, only an observation that I like the geeky RC3 ogginfo program better so far.

Anyway, that's a status report and nothing more.  I was merely being impatient.  I usually record 11 hours of radio per day (6 hours automated + 1 hour automated + 4 hours started by hand), and RC3 did not fail once in many months of use.  The latest CVS has passed the 4-hour test and the 1-hour test, and I expect it to pass the 6-hour test as well.  It doesn't sound very different at 9600-Hz mono, -q1.25, but I like the progress anyway.

Good luck!

Michael L. Semon