[vorbis-dev] Final Post/Lack of support

Dirk Knop dknop at gwdg.de
Sun Jul 21 01:44:39 PDT 2002

Hi,

I went to the official xiph channel on IRC (openprojects) to try once
more to get some support for the *.ogm stuff we did. I think there still
is and always will be the need for this extension, out of _well_ known
reasons.

I was in a bad mood for all the stuff which happened the last months
regarding the ogg container being called ogm to indicate that this isn't
meant for a music player, said some bad words there and honestly
apologized for that as well.

But what I experienced there (as usual when someone enters that channel)
is pure arrogance. Telling me to leave even after some minutes of my
apologies has to have consequences.

This announcement of ogg-prak, which is meant to try to solve the matter
(after the damage is done and there is a huge userbase using *.ogm for
video+audio content), just means we did wrong and renders all our files
useless.
I feel betrayed by Emmet, another official spokesman of Xiph, who said
to support ogm, who now happily announces that prak solves all issues
(and thus - once more from xiph - shows us we're wrong).

As much as I like *.ogg and vorbis as superior audio codec, I can't
ignore that I was told to "just leave". This means for me that our work
to make vorbis wider used and all these "marketing" efforts were for
nothing - or worse, we did the hard work to make it a _used_ codec (+the
ogg container more popular), and in return get nothing but some bad
words like this is unwanted.

Well, I wish you much luck, I loved to follow the development and tried
to help, but I can't seriously support xiph anymore as I only got slaps
in the face for some months now (staying silent all the time and hoping
for someone to make up his mind and extend the specs for allowing *.ogm
being ogg...).

I'm really sorry for the faults on my side, but there's nothing that
indicates that there will ever be acceptance of an userbase, which is
BAD for a codec.

Honestly,

my best regards,

Dirk