[vorbis-dev] Patches and questions for spec files

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Jul 15 11:57:32 PDT 2002

Hi,

(Chris, if this mail doesn't make it onto the dev list - xiph is refusing
my mail server - then please forward it on ;) )

> The so version jump is due to how libtool works, but the version bump
> itself as I understand it was required due to changes in vorbis.  To
> understand how libtool versions libs you can think of it like this:
>
> libfoo.so.x.y.z
>
> CURRENT
> REVISION
> AGE

Yes, I have a general knowledge of how it works.  I'm not always clear
about them, but in general I'm ok ;)

> release 1.0.0
>
> 2:0:2 so libvorbis.so.0.2.0
> 2:0:0 so libvorbisenc.so.2.0.0
> 3:0:0 so libvorbisfile.so.3.0.0
>
> release 1.0rc3
>
> 1:0:1 so libvorbis.so.0.1.0
> 1:0:1 so libvorbisenc.0.1.0
> 2:0:2 so libvorbisfile.0.2.0

My reason for asking was beccause I didn't follow vorbisenc and vorbisfile
closely. I can imagine that there was good reason to change the CURRENT
number on those two.  But the problem for packages at this point is that,
since libvorbis didn't get a CURRENT upgrade, I have no way to make
parallel-installable packages.

Also, how come libvorbisenc and libvorbisfile made such a big jump since
rc3 ? they went from O to 2 and 3 respectively as CURRENT.

So that's basically why I was asking, I wanted to make sure that enc and
file didn't accidentally get their CURRENT number upgraded instead of
their REVISION, as is the case for libvorbis.

Thanks,
Thomas

morgen wordt het beter beter voor iedereen
dan krijg ik de strop
en jij wat je verdiende
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->