[vorbis-dev] Still can't compile vorbis-tools CVS

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jul 4 07:58:04 PDT 2002

Hi:

I posted about this 2 days ago but saw no responses, so I'm posting again,
with hopefully more detail.

I'm getting the folowing when attempting to compile vorbis-tools:

Making all in intl
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/cvs/vorbis-tools/intl'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all-no- at BUILD_INCLUDED_LIBINTL@',
needed by `all-no'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/vorbis-tools/intl'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

This is after running ./autogen.sh with no options.  I examined the output
of configure.  Burried away in the output, not in the log btw, was the
following error:

ed: can't read ./intl/po2tbl.sed.in: No such file or directory

Here it is in context:

checking for xgettext... (cached) /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for catalogs to be installed...  fr nl sv
sed: can't read ./intl/po2tbl.sed.in: No such file or directory

There's nothing at all to help in config.log, but grepping for po2tbl
reveals the following:

configure:3499:     $srcdir/intl/po2tbl.sed.in > intl/po2tbl.sed

This line is also in aclocal.m4:

aclocal.m4:1490:   dnl po2tbl.sed is always needed.
aclocal.m4:1492:     $srcdir/intl/po2tbl.sed.in > intl/po2tbl.sed

Going right back to the start, doing a fresh checkout and searching for
po2tbl reveals that it only exists in one place:

intl/Makefile.in:79:DISTFILES.obsolete = xopen-msg.sed linux-msg.sed
po2tbl.sed.in cat-compat.c

I also tried './configure --with-included-gettext' with the same result.

This looks like an auto* issue to me, though I know very little about it.
The commands that reference po2tbl.sed.in only appear after running
./autogen.sh and I'm wondering if it's being found somewhere else on my
system?  At any rate, configure should bomb if it hits this error
evidently, as it causes problems for the Makefile in intl.

My system configuration:

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r6 (Potato)
kernel 2.2.20
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Autoconf version 2.13
automake (GNU automake) 1.4
gettext (GNU gettext) 0.10.35

Vorbis-tools is CVS as of about an hour ago.

Let me know if you need any more information.  I really want to try out CVS
and would like to help iron out any compilation bugs.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html